The National Weather Association Foundation
Sol Hirsch Education Fund Grants
Sol Hirsch Education Fund Grants are awarded annually to teachers/educators of grades K-12 to help improve the education of their students, their school, and/or their community in the science of meteorology. The grants were established in 1994 thanks to the generosity of former National Weather Association Executive Director Sol Hirsch and many NWA members, and were transferred to the National Weather Association Foundation in 2017.
The Grant is intended to allow teachers to:
- Purchase scientific materials and/or equipment for the classroom, school or community.
- Begin new school and/or community science outreach and education programs.
- Enhance and/or expand existing meteorology/science education programs.
- Attend accredited courses, workshops, and/or conferences related to meteorology that will significantly enhance their teaching activities.
The grant money may be awarded up to $750, if a suitable recipient is available, and to one or more teachers/educators to cover qualified education expenses.
- The Sol Hirsch Fund Grant Application Requirements:
- An application deadline will be set each year in the spring.
- Applicant must be a citizen of the United States of America, or a permanent legal resident.
- Teachers, program directors, school district supervisors, and other individuals or groups proposing to improve the education of K-12 student in meteorology may apply. Their school or organization must be publicly recognized and/or accredited in the United States.
- Applicant must complete the National Weather Association Foundation Grant Application per instructions in the online application form. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
In general, teachers/educators selected to receive the grant are those whose applications:
- Are deemed to have the greatest need
- Will have the most significant and widest impacts
- Have a detailed spending plan for the Grant
For more information on Sol Hirsch, please visit: www.nwas.org
Approved by NWAF Board: April 25, 2017