The National Weather Association Foundation
The Dr. Roderick A. Scofield Scholarship in Meteorology
The Dr. Roderick A. Scofield Scholarship in Meteorology was established by the National Weather Association in 2007, and was transferred to the National Weather Association Foundation in 2017. The scholarship is designed to aid students enrolled in meteorology (or related field) programs at universities listed on the Department of Education’s Accreditation database. The scholarship may be awarded up to $1,000, if a suitable recipient is available, to cover qualified education expenses such as tuition, fees, and course-related expenses such as books, supplies and equipment when the scholarship is paid to the student’s tuition account.
- The Dr. Roderick A. Scofield Scholarship in Meteorology Application Requirements:
- An application deadline will be set each year in the spring.
- Applicant must be a citizen of the United States of America, or a permanent legal resident.
- Undergraduates entering their junior or senior year, or graduate students may apply. If classified as a senior, the applicant must have one more fall semester to complete after the scholarship is awarded, or they must document that they have been accepted to graduate school.
- Applicant must complete the National Weather Association Foundation Scholarship Application per instructions in the online application form. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Past recipients of the Dr. Roderick A. Scofield Scholarship in Meteorology are ineligible.
- While students are encouraged to apply for multiple NWAF scholarships, the NWAF will not award a student multiple scholarships in any given year.
- The award will be based on the following in the order of importance: (1) academic merit, (2) one-page statement of interest, and (3) two academic references (at least one from a current/former meteorology professor).
The Dr. Roderick A. Scofield Scholarship in Meteorology is an opportunity available annually to aspiring meteorologists, provided by a generous donation from Mrs. Joyce Scofield and other family members of the late Dr. Roderick Scofield (1942-2006). Dr. Scofield was a charter member of the NWA, who rose to be elected president in the year 2000. At the 31st Annual Meeting in Cleveland, Ohio, a special session was held in his honor, and a NWA Special Lifetime Achievement award was presented to Rod posthumously and accepted by Mrs. Scofield. To learn more, please visit: www.nwas.org
Approved by NWAF Board: April 25, 2017
Application Link: CLOSED